Voet

David Hume: "My studious disposition, my sobriety, and my industry, gave my family a notion that the law was a proper profession for me; but I found an unsurmountable aversion to every thing but the pursuits of philosophy and general learning; and while they fancied I was poring upon Voet and Vinnius, Cicero and Virgil were the authors which I was secretly devouring."

I acquired Voet's commentaries on the Pandects in 2021 when I became more interested in the origins of Roman-Dutch Law:

Voet, Commentarius ad Pandectas.  Photo:  Daniel Lee, 2023

I'm not exactly sure what (or if) I plan to use this text.  It became a fairly popular and influential textbook in civil law, evidently in Scotland as well, for young lawyers studying civil law to practice Scots law.  

It's also a pretty large book, one of the few in my library that won't fit into a modern backpack or even a tote bag.  So I rarely take this one out into the elements.

Popular Posts