More on Grotius texts

One more post for today, and I think this will be enough to get started.

Grotius was renowned as a theologian, and much of his reputation rests on his scholarship in theology, just as much as it does for his jurisprudence.  

I recently became very interested in the connection between Grotius' theology and jurisprudence.  Partly, I have to thank a former student who wrote a brilliant thesis on De Satisfactione, an anti-Socinian tract exploring the Atonement.  

It was this paper by the German Kant scholar, Joachim Hruschka, that drew many of the connections for me, and I felt I needed to spend time with Grotius' theology.  I acquired these two texts for this purpose:




I'm on the hunt for Grotius' commentaries on the Gospels.  And it will be relevant for this project, because of the highest importance he attaches to Christ's New Commandment as the lex caritatis or lex dilectionis.  'Love each other, as I have loved you' becomes legally obligatory and morally necessary, in Grotius' treatment.

Popular Posts